Health care decisions
- Level of care needed
- Location of where care is to be provided
- Who is to provide care?
- Paying for care
- Preserving assets
- Medicaid eligibility and related asset preservation concerns
- If a family member is to provide the care
- Who is that family member?
- How will s/he be compensated?
- How will respite be provided for the family member?
- Will a private caregiver be used, and if so, who will provide the compensation?
- Will an agency be used, and if so, which agency and who will provide the compensation?
- Financial considerations regarding home care
- Safety in the home
- Impact on potential future Medicaid eligibility for long term care
- Who makes medical decisions and how are they to be made?
- End of life issues
- Who makes financial decisions and how are they to be made?
- Autonomy concerns
- Driving or stopping driving
- Late life marriages
- Competency issues and all forms of dementia
- Guardianship matters
- Estate planning
- Undue influence
- Probate and other after death estate administration issues
- Family dynamics that cause differing opinions on any of the above issues
- Issues in the criminal realm – abuse, theft, sequestering